An IVC filter also known as a vena cava filter or blood clot filter is a wire like device that is used to catch blood clots before it enter into the lungs and result into serious health issue called pulmonary embolism.
IVC device is inserted in the inferior vena cava (IVC), a vein that carries oxygen-depleted blood from the lower half of the body to the heart when it fails to perform its functioning. Patients who cannot take blood-thinning drugs have to go for implantation of IVC filters.
However, use of these filters has proved to be risky. Following are few studies confirming IVC filters have serious risks and questionable benefits-
- April 2015 —Patients implanted with a retrievable inferior vena cava (IVC) filter instead of using blood-thinning medication might not benefit. They have a higher risk of getting more blood clots.
- November 2015 —83% of IVC filter implantation patients are likely to suffer from DVT (deep vein thrombosis).
Risks & complications of IVC filters-
- IVC Filter Migration makes it ineffective. Displacement can cause damage to internal organs as well.
- The filter could damage the inferior vena cava.
- Its parts can break off and released in the bloodstream causing damage to the heart or lungs
- It stops the flow of flood from travelling to the lower body into the heart.
- Numerous clots can be made causing health issues to patient
IVC Filter Side Effects
- Perforation of the vena cava, heart, or lungs
- Cardiac tamponade
- Lower-limb Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
- Filter embolization
- Filter migration
- Chest pain
- Hemorrhagic pericardial effusion
In case, if you or your loved one is a victim of IVC filter complications then you should contact professional lawyers immediately. They will help you get justice and rightful compensation for your injuries like pulmonary embolism, stroke, heart or lung injury, etc.
Patients who have a medical condition deep vein thrombosis get IVC filters placed in their body in order to prevent a blood clot from breaking off and entering their lungs. These ICV filters are small cone-shaped devices and usually used for the patients that cannot take cannot take anticoagulants because of an-adverse reaction, bleeding, or recent surgery. Mainly there are two types of IVC filters that are- permanent and optional, or retrievable.Usage of retrievable devices has increased continuously throughout the years, but unfortunately, these IVC filters can cause significant health problems. Following are the main risk factors that these devices can include-
- Filter Fracture– With time the device can fracture and may send broken pieces to other body parts
- Device Migration– When filters move from their intended position
- Impossible Removal- When the device sets in another vein or organ, it becomes impossible to retrieve
These factors can result in following health issues-
- Chest Pain
- Internal Bleeding
- Respiratory Issues
Are you a victim of those complications?
Many lawsuits have been filed against the medical device manufacturer due to consequences of the failed IVC filters and these numbers are still rising, as the more patients continue to experience serious complications. Therefore, if you or your loved ones have been a victim of IVC filter complications, you must get in touch with a professional lawyer to get the required help.
It is highly recommended that you should get your case evaluated by an experienced lawyer, as they do not charge you any fee unless the recovery for the losses is successfully obtained. These lawyers can carefully evaluate your case in order to ensure that you get fair compensation for your injuries and other sufferings.
The main role of these lawyers is to offer you the help that you need to get financial compensation for your various injuries that can include pulmonary embolism, stroke, heart or lung injury, etc. Therefore, you must discuss your case and present situation with your lawyer without any further delays.