An IVC filter also known as a vena cava filter or blood clot filter is a wire like device that is used to catch blood clots before it enter into the lungs and result into serious health issue called pulmonary embolism.
IVC device is inserted in the inferior vena cava (IVC), a vein that carries oxygen-depleted blood from the lower half of the body to the heart when it fails to perform its functioning. Patients who cannot take blood-thinning drugs have to go for implantation of IVC filters.
However, use of these filters has proved to be risky. Following are few studies confirming IVC filters have serious risks and questionable benefits-
- April 2015 —Patients implanted with a retrievable inferior vena cava (IVC) filter instead of using blood-thinning medication might not benefit. They have a higher risk of getting more blood clots.
- November 2015 —83% of IVC filter implantation patients are likely to suffer from DVT (deep vein thrombosis).
Risks & complications of IVC filters-
- IVC Filter Migration makes it ineffective. Displacement can cause damage to internal organs as well.
- The filter could damage the inferior vena cava.
- Its parts can break off and released in the bloodstream causing damage to the heart or lungs
- It stops the flow of flood from travelling to the lower body into the heart.
- Numerous clots can be made causing health issues to patient
IVC Filter Side Effects
- Perforation of the vena cava, heart, or lungs
- Cardiac tamponade
- Lower-limb Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
- Filter embolization
- Filter migration
- Chest pain
- Hemorrhagic pericardial effusion
In case, if you or your loved one is a victim of IVC filter complications then you should contact professional lawyers immediately. They will help you get justice and rightful compensation for your injuries like pulmonary embolism, stroke, heart or lung injury, etc.